You read that right: paleo parfait
Made by yours truly. Well, not really this was inspired by my friend and phenomenal yoga teacher, Shaaron, from our last Access Foundation class at my beach house.
That has Oh-So-Many Benefits!
My body loves high fiber, high protein foods! And this .. is just so damn yummy with coconut flakes and coconut butter.
It’s probably the easiest pudding in the world and it really makes my digestion happy too!
Ch-ch-ch-chia! This catchy jingle was likely stuck in your head for most of the 80s.
Here’s what I love about chia seeds
From the Mayan word meaning “strength,” chia has entered the nutrition scene as a fiber filled, protein packed, vitamin dense superfood.
Just two tablespoons of this tiny seed packs:
- An impressive 11 grams of fiber — a massive boost to digestive health
- 4 grams of protein
- 30% of the recommended daily amount of magnesium
- Minerals: calcium, phosphorus, potassium and zinc
- Help balance blood sugar.
Who knew so much good stuff could be packed in a tiny seed?
How to incorporate chia seeds into your favorite recipes
They can be sprinkled on smoothies for a powerful after-workout boost, added to oatmeal in the mornings, used as a salad topping, even whipped into a sweet mousse. When soaked in liquid, they expand to a jell-o-like substance with a spongy, slippery outer layer. This aids with digestion, gives them a unique texture… and makes them the perfect base for a healthy version of vanilla pudding!
Coconut-Blueberry Chia Seed Pudding Parfait Recipe
I crafted this recipe the other day when I was playing with some “beyond the green shake” breakfast ideas. I wanted some real food that would sustain me until lunch.
This takes less than 5 minutes to prep, and it takes a couple hours to set, so prep it the night before for a delicious, pre-made treat first thing in the morning.
- fresh blueberries
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup Salba chia seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3 T NaturesWay coconut oil
- 1 scoop VitalProteins
- oats if desired
- 2 tsp of SweetDrop Stevia (on Amazon)
- 1 hour or the night before … mix almond milk, chia seeds and stevia (see above)
- Once it becomes a gel, you can assembly your parfait
- Add blueberries, chia pudding, oats, coconut flakes, chia pudding, more coconut flakes .. and then drizzle coconut oil over the top and add some cacao (or whatever you wish)